I’ll admit. I never thought I would be looking at doggie strollers or backpacks. But— here I am.
Why? Because my little Chewie, an adopted Yorkshire Terrier around the age of 10 weighing around 10 pounds, has Congested Heart Failure CHF. What this means is that she cannot handle too much stress. I used to love to see how excited she was when I cam home. But now that could make her faint. and my Vet said that one time she may not come out of it. another problem is long walks. she loves it but her heart doesn’t. so, here we are
I did a lot of research- a lot. I read amazon reviews. I did Google searches. I asked on Social Media. But really, it depends on each individual’s needs and their pet. So, I picked 3 backpacks found on amazon-because of their awesome return policy- and decided to check them out personally. And I hope this helps you if you are also looking for the same thing.
Petsfit Soft Pet Backpack Carrier for Hiking
13″ L by 11″W by 17″ H Freesize? & weighs 3.5 lbs before pet
Pros: Easy to load pet in the top
Lots o fventilation
Front flap opens and velcros to stay open
Padding on abck for comfort for wearer
2 strap system
Cons: Too heavy- for extended amount of time
Too big- for a 10 lb Yorkie
No side pockets
- “Leash inside attaches the collar for pets to look out while safely tethered and removable and padded pad for the bottom
- Padded straps and chest/hip straps is comfortable to carry and adjustable for plus size humans
- Front and top separate entry ways to enter and exit easily; Solid bottom doesn’t collapse when use
- The dog backpack carrier is collapsible to fold flat for storage and take out the mat squish to fit under the seat
- Plenty room and good ventilation won’t make pets feel claustrophobic Take out the mat and squish to fit the cat backpack under the seat” Amazon info
Overall: It seems to be well made, but I would like to see this in a smaller size. If you have a big pet and are using this just to get through an airport, it might be right for you. However, not good on the front- at least fro me. https://amzn.to/2L5oSVq
PetAmi Premium Pet Carrier Backpack
11.5″ by 9″ by 16″ weighs 2.09 & holds up to 12 lbs
Pros: Easy to load your pet
2 side pockets
Good fro a lot of putting the pet in and out- what we need
Cons: Still a bit big
No padding on back for wearer
Front window does not open
Side windows small- becasue of pockets?
1 strap system
- “Designed for the best and most convenient travel outdoor experience for you and your pet! Measures approximately 11.5x9x16 inches (LxWxH), Fits most small/medium sized pets. Before purchasing please measure your pet – LENGTH: neck to base of tail; HEIGHT: floor to top of shoulder
- Your Pet will Travel in Comfort – Well ventilated design for optimal airflow and checking on pet, soft cozy sherpa lining bedding so your pet can relax and rest, collapsible bowl to keep your pet hydrated during travel
- Superior Fit, Comfort, and Convenience – This backpack comes with both waist and chest buckles to give you extra support. We also added side pockets for extra capacity and a collapsible pet bowl so you can keep your pet hydrated on the go!
- Designed with Safety In Mind – The backpack comes with safety strap to secure your pet and prevent escape.
- Quality Construction – Made with durable 600D high grade polyester; Available in 7 Colors – Black, Dark Gray, Light Gray, Royal Blue, Light Blue, Red, Pink” Amazon info
Overall: Despite all the cons, out of the 3, this is the best one for our pet. we walk her until she looks like she needs a break, carry her, then let her walk again. It is easy to make it go front or back. We are still looking. https://amzn.to/2R1vEiS
Crazy Paws Pet carrier Backpack
14.56 by 5.51 by 14.76 weighs 1.2 lbs & for up to 11 lbs
Lots of ventilation
Pocket under back
side opening to comfort pet
Thick padding on back for wearer
Padding on straps
Cons: too small for our needs
Elastic around neck bothers my dog- CHF
1 strap system
Hard to get them in and out
- “🐶 SAFE & SOOTHING – A zippered pet pocket lets you reach into the bag and directly calm your dog or cat without opening the bag. Plus, our bag features an innovative design that gives pets ample room.
- 🐶 DURABLE – Our pet carrier travel backpack is made with heavy duty materials. A strong EVA base gives pets stable support, and zippers keep pets from escaping. Ideal for work, traveling, and camping.
- 🐶 COMFORTABLE FOR OWNERS – A three-dimensional ventilation back pad keeps owners’ backs from sweating. Ergonomic chest and waist straps help distribute weight, preventing back and shoulder strain.
- 🐶 SPACIOUS & CONVENIENT – This travel bag fits cats and small dog breeds. Built with straps and pockets for storing pet supplies, treats, leashes, toys as well as your water bottle, wallet, and phone.
- 🐶 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – We believe our backpack’s ability to help your pet see more of the world safely. Each purchase comes with a 1-year warranty for your peace of mind.” Amazon info
Overall: This back backpack looks like a hiking bag. It would be great if you were leaving your pet in the entire hike. So, it isn’t good for our use. https://amzn.to/2R2Tnzb
In the end, its a bit of trial and error. I hope you find what is best for you and your pet.
There is a full yourube video review seeing all three backpacks in action.
Good luck and give kisses to your pet from us.